Hoxton illustrator wins children’s book prize
- Credit: Dapo Adeola
A Hoxton-based illustrator has won a prestigious children’s book award with an empowering tale that challenges gender norms.
Illustrator Dapo Adeola and author Nathan Byron were named Overall Winners of the Waterstones Children’s Book Prize 2020 for their debut picture book Look Up!.
The “utterly joyful” picture book tells the story of a science-loving Black girl called Rocket and her dreams of becoming an astronaut.
Dapo told the Gazette: “Look Up! was visually inspired by one of my nieces. I tried to capture her curiosity and zest for knowledge in Rocket’s mannerisms as well as her innocently self-assured attitude to problem solving, traits that should be celebrated in both boys and girls.”
The illustrator uses images and designs characters to challenge gender norms in fun and upbeat ways.
You may also want to watch:
Author and actor Nathan’s previous work includes writing for the critically acclaimed Cbeebies’ animation Rastamouse and BAFTA winning children’s show Swashbuckle.
For more information and to purchase Look Up! click here.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop