Las Mexicanas: Queen of Hoxton set to open summer rooftop space
- Credit: Archant
It’s two weeks until Queen of Hoxton launch their latest rooftop theme – a love note to the vibrant culture, colours and flavours of Mexico.
Few things say ‘British Summer Time’ quite like the launch of a new rooftop residency at Queen of Hoxton, on Curtain Road.
Set to open on May 2, the latest theme to take hold above the streets of Shoreditch is Las Mexicanas; as the venue plans “a long hot summer of tacos, tequila and giant frozen margaritas.” Could be worse, I suppose.
Inspired by the vibrant town of San Cristobal – in the Chiapas district – Queen of Hoxton’s summer playground will be “gloriously colourful and hot as a habanero.”
Las Mexicanas will pay tribute to Lola Gonzalez – rebel Queen of the Lucha Libra movement – with the chance to learn some moves in an actual wrestling wring or go in to battle at the arm-wrestling stage.
You may also want to watch:
If you’d prefer to focus on the food, the rooftop will come stocked with treats including pulled chicken tacos, taco al pastor with slow-cooked pork and pineapple and a Some Like It Hot chilli cheeseburger. There are also fresh nachos and taco vegan chayote with a helping of spicy squash and courgette.
Drinks-wise, think colourful, zesty cocktails best enjoyed when temperatures are in the steady 20s.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 9 Hackney drumming tribute to Cream's Ginger Baker
- 10 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
The Chilli & Mango Margarita (El Jimador tequila, Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur, mango, chilli, lime) and Mezcal Cantarito (Montelobos Mezcal, blood orange, lemon, lime) are two of the highlights, while frozen margaritas will come in single and sharing serves.
Queen of Hoxton will host a number of special rooftop day parties, and work with Mexican Londoner Paola Feregrino-Rodriguez to put on a series of authentic events.
The first of which – on Cinco De Mayo – will involve live female mariachis, wandering wrestlers and the chance to make your own Trump piñata. It should be quite something.
Las Mexicanas at Queen of Hoxton is open from May 2 until October. Free entry. More information here.