Lorde at All Points East: Curious blend of light and dark proves New Zealander is real star
- Credit: Archant
Solitude might be an unlikely subject for a festival crowdpleaser, but then Lorde is no ordinary pop star.
Bouncing on stage in a floral prom dress, to the casual onlooker the 21-year-old New Zealander might have been mistaken for one of the white teeth teens caustically described on her 2013 debut album Pure Heroine.
But from the off, Lorde’s curious blend of light and dark merge to create something that is far from beige, with the knowledge that we were on the brink of a storm adding a suitably eerie edge.
The poignant yet rousing Liability, the aforementioned ode to loneliness, proved the surprise highlight with its heartfelt refrain.
But it’s far from all doom and gloom and on more than one occasion Lorde herself can’t help but break into a grin when she joins in with her balletic backing dancers.
You may also want to watch:
We’re left with the real fans after smash hit Royals with Lorde rattling through Perfect Places and Team, before ending on the euphoric Green Light, which sees paper stars filling the sky in a fitting finale.
Earlier in the set Lorde earnestly thanked the crowd for choosing her over Sampha, playing on the other stage. As if we’d have dreamt of being anywhere else.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack