Mussel Men: Dalston diner sources the freshest seafood
- Credit: Archant
Considering Robin Dunlop grew up on his family’s oyster farm in Scotland, it’s no wonder he’s so particular about sourcing the finest, fresh and reasonably sourced, seafood at his own restaurant, Mussel Men.
With its origins serving food out of a van at pop-ups and festivals, Mussel Men has been based in Kingsland Road, Dalston, since 2014 and serves up inventive seafood dishes.
The quality of the fish and seafood shines through here – which was particularly apparent in the cod, sashuka and spring veg main that I ordered, priced at £17.
The lovely and fresh, chunky piece of cod which was served with chewy gnocci was complimented but not by the unusual smoky tomato sauce.
For starters, there are a choice of Irish, English or Scottish oysters, with three starting at £7.
I opted for the salmon which is impressively cured in-house with salt and sugar, and served with beetroot and a wonderful homemade horseradish ricotta – flavours which once again complimented the fish.
For mains, my friend opted for the mussels, which came with skinny fries, in a really tasty classic mariniere clear white wine broth at £13.
- 1 Call for Hackney Council to refund £200,000 in 'unlawful' fines
- 2 Plumber found guilty of road rage murder of Deliveroo driver
- 3 Two shootings in Hackney as Walthamstow murder probe launched
- 4 Dalston Lane closure after rider taken to hospital
- 5 'Rest in peace child': Tributes paid to teenager stabbed to death
- 6 Left in limbo – traders face silence as lease deadline looms
- 7 All Points East 2022: Gorillaz, Idles line-up and stage times
- 8 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 9 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 10 ‘Blimey’: Stoke Newington resident celebrates 109th birthday
To inaugurate the opening of its new bar, signature sea-themed cocktails include a Ginger Storm with rum, lime, ginger and bitters, and an East India, with gin, mint and cucumber, both at a reasonable £8.
On top of that, with a glorious new garden area, Mussel Men is the perfect spot to enjoy a summer’s evening for sea and land lovers alike.