Mussel Men: Dalston diner sources the freshest seafood
- Credit: Archant
Considering Robin Dunlop grew up on his family’s oyster farm in Scotland, it’s no wonder he’s so particular about sourcing the finest, fresh and reasonably sourced, seafood at his own restaurant, Mussel Men.
With its origins serving food out of a van at pop-ups and festivals, Mussel Men has been based in Kingsland Road, Dalston, since 2014 and serves up inventive seafood dishes.
The quality of the fish and seafood shines through here – which was particularly apparent in the cod, sashuka and spring veg main that I ordered, priced at £17.
The lovely and fresh, chunky piece of cod which was served with chewy gnocci was complimented but not by the unusual smoky tomato sauce.
For starters, there are a choice of Irish, English or Scottish oysters, with three starting at £7.
You may also want to watch:
I opted for the salmon which is impressively cured in-house with salt and sugar, and served with beetroot and a wonderful homemade horseradish ricotta – flavours which once again complimented the fish.
For mains, my friend opted for the mussels, which came with skinny fries, in a really tasty classic mariniere clear white wine broth at £13.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
To inaugurate the opening of its new bar, signature sea-themed cocktails include a Ginger Storm with rum, lime, ginger and bitters, and an East India, with gin, mint and cucumber, both at a reasonable £8.
On top of that, with a glorious new garden area, Mussel Men is the perfect spot to enjoy a summer’s evening for sea and land lovers alike.