Mussel Men: Dalston diner sources the freshest seafood
- Credit: Archant
Considering Robin Dunlop grew up on his family’s oyster farm in Scotland, it’s no wonder he’s so particular about sourcing the finest, fresh and reasonably sourced, seafood at his own restaurant, Mussel Men.
With its origins serving food out of a van at pop-ups and festivals, Mussel Men has been based in Kingsland Road, Dalston, since 2014 and serves up inventive seafood dishes.
The quality of the fish and seafood shines through here – which was particularly apparent in the cod, sashuka and spring veg main that I ordered, priced at £17.
The lovely and fresh, chunky piece of cod which was served with chewy gnocci was complimented but not by the unusual smoky tomato sauce.
For starters, there are a choice of Irish, English or Scottish oysters, with three starting at £7.
You may also want to watch:
I opted for the salmon which is impressively cured in-house with salt and sugar, and served with beetroot and a wonderful homemade horseradish ricotta – flavours which once again complimented the fish.
For mains, my friend opted for the mussels, which came with skinny fries, in a really tasty classic mariniere clear white wine broth at £13.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
To inaugurate the opening of its new bar, signature sea-themed cocktails include a Ginger Storm with rum, lime, ginger and bitters, and an East India, with gin, mint and cucumber, both at a reasonable £8.
On top of that, with a glorious new garden area, Mussel Men is the perfect spot to enjoy a summer’s evening for sea and land lovers alike.