New play safe bet for East Enders
THE mad, bad world of ‘elf and safety will be given a much needed shake-up in a satirical play later this month.
SAFE, directed by Arti Prashar, puts the spotlight on stringent regulations, asking when safeguarding turns into a restriction on our freedoms.
Performed by HotPots, a company of actors aged over 60, the play follows a group of elderly people attempting to put on a show against an onslaught of red tape.
An interruption by a health and safety officer throws a spanner in proceedings as he insists on box-ticking, safe-guarding and cotton-wooling the environment.
The exasperated actors take the audience along for the ride as they spiral into absurd and comical bureaucratic nonsense.
You may also want to watch:
Written by Pete Lawson, the play asks whose voices are being sacrificed at the expense of safety.
Touring across London throughout October and November, SAFE will be at People Show in Pollard Road, Bethnal Green, on Saturday and The Space in Westferry Road, Docklands, next Friday, October 22.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
For details visit the Spare Tyre theatre company website: www.sparetyre.org or call: 0207 061 6454.