North London Chorus celebrate anniversary at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Zurich’s Contrapunto Chor, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
An international joint birthday party between two choirs, one from north London and the other from Zurich, takes place this weekend.
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Contrapunto Chor, a choir from Switzerland, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
Having performed together two weeks ago in Zurich, the couple of choirs come to Shoreditch Town all on Saturday November 25.
“We are using this concert as an opportunity to showcase some rarely performed pieces that explore the magic and mysticism of the forest at night,” says North London Chorus musical director Murray Hipkin.
The focus of the programme is Mendelssohn’s Die erste Walpurgisnacht, which tells a story of the attempts of Druids to practice their pagan rituals in the face of new and dominating Christian forces.
Vaughan Williams’ In Windsor Forest describe various episodes from Shakespeare’s The Merry Wives of Windsor and Saint-Saens’ Danse Macabre sees three soloists taking on the orchestral tone poem.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 3 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 6 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 7 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 From college student to stage performer: How All Points East Festival is helping young artists
- 10 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
The programme is compelted by a UK premiere of Byzantium – A Choral Cantata, a setting of W.B. Yeats’ poem, composed and conducted by Beat Dahler, musical director of Contrapunto Chor.
North London Chorus rehearse every Thursday in East Finchley and perform at St James’ Church in Muswell Hill three times a year. They began as The Hill Singers, giving their first concert in December 1977.
Saturday November 25, 7:30pm, Shoreditch Town Hall, EC1V 9LT. shoreditchtownhall.com