North London Chorus celebrate anniversary at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Zurich’s Contrapunto Chor, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
An international joint birthday party between two choirs, one from north London and the other from Zurich, takes place this weekend.
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Contrapunto Chor, a choir from Switzerland, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
Having performed together two weeks ago in Zurich, the couple of choirs come to Shoreditch Town all on Saturday November 25.
“We are using this concert as an opportunity to showcase some rarely performed pieces that explore the magic and mysticism of the forest at night,” says North London Chorus musical director Murray Hipkin.
You may also want to watch:
The focus of the programme is Mendelssohn’s Die erste Walpurgisnacht, which tells a story of the attempts of Druids to practice their pagan rituals in the face of new and dominating Christian forces.
Vaughan Williams’ In Windsor Forest describe various episodes from Shakespeare’s The Merry Wives of Windsor and Saint-Saens’ Danse Macabre sees three soloists taking on the orchestral tone poem.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
The programme is compelted by a UK premiere of Byzantium – A Choral Cantata, a setting of W.B. Yeats’ poem, composed and conducted by Beat Dahler, musical director of Contrapunto Chor.
North London Chorus rehearse every Thursday in East Finchley and perform at St James’ Church in Muswell Hill three times a year. They began as The Hill Singers, giving their first concert in December 1977.
Saturday November 25, 7:30pm, Shoreditch Town Hall, EC1V 9LT. shoreditchtownhall.com