North London Chorus celebrate anniversary at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Zurich’s Contrapunto Chor, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
An international joint birthday party between two choirs, one from north London and the other from Zurich, takes place this weekend.
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Contrapunto Chor, a choir from Switzerland, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
Having performed together two weeks ago in Zurich, the couple of choirs come to Shoreditch Town all on Saturday November 25.
“We are using this concert as an opportunity to showcase some rarely performed pieces that explore the magic and mysticism of the forest at night,” says North London Chorus musical director Murray Hipkin.
You may also want to watch:
The focus of the programme is Mendelssohn’s Die erste Walpurgisnacht, which tells a story of the attempts of Druids to practice their pagan rituals in the face of new and dominating Christian forces.
Vaughan Williams’ In Windsor Forest describe various episodes from Shakespeare’s The Merry Wives of Windsor and Saint-Saens’ Danse Macabre sees three soloists taking on the orchestral tone poem.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 4 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 9 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
The programme is compelted by a UK premiere of Byzantium – A Choral Cantata, a setting of W.B. Yeats’ poem, composed and conducted by Beat Dahler, musical director of Contrapunto Chor.
North London Chorus rehearse every Thursday in East Finchley and perform at St James’ Church in Muswell Hill three times a year. They began as The Hill Singers, giving their first concert in December 1977.
Saturday November 25, 7:30pm, Shoreditch Town Hall, EC1V 9LT. shoreditchtownhall.com