North London Chorus celebrate anniversary at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Zurich’s Contrapunto Chor, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
An international joint birthday party between two choirs, one from north London and the other from Zurich, takes place this weekend.
North London Chorus continues its 40th anniversary season with Contrapunto Chor, a choir from Switzerland, who are currently celebrating their own 30th birthday.
Having performed together two weeks ago in Zurich, the couple of choirs come to Shoreditch Town all on Saturday November 25.
“We are using this concert as an opportunity to showcase some rarely performed pieces that explore the magic and mysticism of the forest at night,” says North London Chorus musical director Murray Hipkin.
You may also want to watch:
The focus of the programme is Mendelssohn’s Die erste Walpurgisnacht, which tells a story of the attempts of Druids to practice their pagan rituals in the face of new and dominating Christian forces.
Vaughan Williams’ In Windsor Forest describe various episodes from Shakespeare’s The Merry Wives of Windsor and Saint-Saens’ Danse Macabre sees three soloists taking on the orchestral tone poem.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 4 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 5 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 8 Hackney NHS staff celebrated for 'work beyond the call of duty'
- 9 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
The programme is compelted by a UK premiere of Byzantium – A Choral Cantata, a setting of W.B. Yeats’ poem, composed and conducted by Beat Dahler, musical director of Contrapunto Chor.
North London Chorus rehearse every Thursday in East Finchley and perform at St James’ Church in Muswell Hill three times a year. They began as The Hill Singers, giving their first concert in December 1977.
Saturday November 25, 7:30pm, Shoreditch Town Hall, EC1V 9LT. shoreditchtownhall.com