Nuno Mendes to open Mare Street Market in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Superstar chef Nuno Mendes is to collaborate on a new restaurant opening near London Fields this winter called Mare Street Market.
The chef behind Marylebone celebrity haunt Chiltern Firehouse and his own Spitalfields Portuguese restaurant Taberna do Mercado is teaming up with pub-owner Barworks on the project.
Mare Street Market in Keltan House will include a bar, restaurant, florist, record shop and juice bar.
Barworks have agreed a 25 year lease with Hackney Council according to property information provider CoStar.
This is far from Mendes’ first foray east, after opening Michelin-starred Viajante in Bethnal Green back in 2010 with intriguing dishes such as Iberico ham-flavoured macaroons on the menu - within its first year of opening it had gained a Michelin star.
You may also want to watch:
Since then, Mendes’ menus have mellowed somewhat with modern takes on Portuguese and American fare, including Steamed egg yolk, pork fat and port caramel dessert named “London’s perfect instagram dish” by the Jay Rayner.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 'Hackney is still building', says mayor on future affordable housing