Nuno Mendes to open Mare Street Market in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Superstar chef Nuno Mendes is to collaborate on a new restaurant opening near London Fields this winter called Mare Street Market.
The chef behind Marylebone celebrity haunt Chiltern Firehouse and his own Spitalfields Portuguese restaurant Taberna do Mercado is teaming up with pub-owner Barworks on the project.
Mare Street Market in Keltan House will include a bar, restaurant, florist, record shop and juice bar.
Barworks have agreed a 25 year lease with Hackney Council according to property information provider CoStar.
This is far from Mendes’ first foray east, after opening Michelin-starred Viajante in Bethnal Green back in 2010 with intriguing dishes such as Iberico ham-flavoured macaroons on the menu - within its first year of opening it had gained a Michelin star.
You may also want to watch:
Since then, Mendes’ menus have mellowed somewhat with modern takes on Portuguese and American fare, including Steamed egg yolk, pork fat and port caramel dessert named “London’s perfect instagram dish” by the Jay Rayner.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens