Nuno Mendes to open Mare Street Market in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Superstar chef Nuno Mendes is to collaborate on a new restaurant opening near London Fields this winter called Mare Street Market.
The chef behind Marylebone celebrity haunt Chiltern Firehouse and his own Spitalfields Portuguese restaurant Taberna do Mercado is teaming up with pub-owner Barworks on the project.
Mare Street Market in Keltan House will include a bar, restaurant, florist, record shop and juice bar.
Barworks have agreed a 25 year lease with Hackney Council according to property information provider CoStar.
This is far from Mendes’ first foray east, after opening Michelin-starred Viajante in Bethnal Green back in 2010 with intriguing dishes such as Iberico ham-flavoured macaroons on the menu - within its first year of opening it had gained a Michelin star.
You may also want to watch:
Since then, Mendes’ menus have mellowed somewhat with modern takes on Portuguese and American fare, including Steamed egg yolk, pork fat and port caramel dessert named “London’s perfect instagram dish” by the Jay Rayner.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images