Pianist Jools Holland to appear at Canary Wharf jazz club
Rhythm and blues pianist Jools Holland is the patron of a new jazz club in Canary Wharf.
He will present Boisdale of Canary Wharf’s opening night on Thursday April 14. The event will feature UK funk band Bad Ass Brass and pianist-singer-songwriter Kate Threlfall, and will be broadcast live on Jazz FM.
Holland, who will also be performing at the venue on Tuesday June 21 with his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, said: “I am honoured to have been invited to be Patron of Music for Boisdale Canary Wharf.
“I am delighted that a new brilliant live music venue will be opening in London, a place which intends to feature world class music from the world of jazz, blues and soul every night.”
The venue, on Cabot Place, opens to the public on Monday April 18, with the first of a regular series of programmes for Jazz FM - The Discovery Show - to be recorded the following Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
The Discovery Show will feature two unknown jazz acts each week, and will be broadcast from April 26.
Jazz FM’s chief exec Richard Wheatly said: “We are always looking for new ways to support the extraordinary wealth of new jazz talent coming out of the UK. The Discovery Show, with the support of Boisdale, will offer a perfect platform to do just that.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
Boisdale of Canary Wharf will feature live jazz six nights a week. Ranald Macdonald, Boisdale’s managing director, said: “Our dream is for Boisdale of Canary Wharf to become one of the best loved live jazz, blues and soul venues on the planet.”
Jazz FM is broadcast on DAB Digital Radio and through jazzfm.com. The Discovery Show will air every Tuesday at 8pm.