Ping pong party comes to Bethnal Green
Get your bats at the ready for a ping pong-themed weekend in Bethnal Green.
The two-day event at Rich Mix will celebrate the Olympic sport with the release of a film and a ping pong tournament.
The film, called Ping Pong, follows 89-year-old Les D’Arcy on his quest for sporting gold. A seven-time world champion, he is heading to Inner Mongolia to compete in the over-80s Table Tennis Championships.
Lower Clapton-based director Hugh Hartford follows eight players from five different countries as they prepare to go face each other in the competition which is as much about steely determination as winning a medal.
Eight ping pong tables will be set up at the event for partygoers to perfect their skills and big screens will show live coverage of the Olympic table tennis quarter finals.
You may also want to watch:
Screenings will take place at 1pm and 5pm on August 4 and 5 at Rich Mix, 35-46 Bethnal Green Road.
Tickets are �12 and available from www.richmix.org.uk/whats-on/festival/ping-pong-weekender or by calling the box office on 0207 613 7498.
- 1 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 2 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 6 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 7 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 8 Man who punched pregnant woman in Stamford Hill convicted
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton