Ping pong party comes to Bethnal Green
Get your bats at the ready for a ping pong-themed weekend in Bethnal Green.
The two-day event at Rich Mix will celebrate the Olympic sport with the release of a film and a ping pong tournament.
The film, called Ping Pong, follows 89-year-old Les D’Arcy on his quest for sporting gold. A seven-time world champion, he is heading to Inner Mongolia to compete in the over-80s Table Tennis Championships.
Lower Clapton-based director Hugh Hartford follows eight players from five different countries as they prepare to go face each other in the competition which is as much about steely determination as winning a medal.
Eight ping pong tables will be set up at the event for partygoers to perfect their skills and big screens will show live coverage of the Olympic table tennis quarter finals.
You may also want to watch:
Screenings will take place at 1pm and 5pm on August 4 and 5 at Rich Mix, 35-46 Bethnal Green Road.
Tickets are �12 and available from www.richmix.org.uk/whats-on/festival/ping-pong-weekender or by calling the box office on 0207 613 7498.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding