Ping pong party comes to Bethnal Green
Get your bats at the ready for a ping pong-themed weekend in Bethnal Green.
The two-day event at Rich Mix will celebrate the Olympic sport with the release of a film and a ping pong tournament.
The film, called Ping Pong, follows 89-year-old Les D’Arcy on his quest for sporting gold. A seven-time world champion, he is heading to Inner Mongolia to compete in the over-80s Table Tennis Championships.
Lower Clapton-based director Hugh Hartford follows eight players from five different countries as they prepare to go face each other in the competition which is as much about steely determination as winning a medal.
Eight ping pong tables will be set up at the event for partygoers to perfect their skills and big screens will show live coverage of the Olympic table tennis quarter finals.
You may also want to watch:
Screenings will take place at 1pm and 5pm on August 4 and 5 at Rich Mix, 35-46 Bethnal Green Road.
Tickets are �12 and available from www.richmix.org.uk/whats-on/festival/ping-pong-weekender or by calling the box office on 0207 613 7498.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
- 10 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art