Plateau’s ‘Blossom City’ tasting menu comes complete with ring for romantic rendez-vous
- Credit: Archant
My date didn’t “pop the question” on our visit to Plateau and quite frankly it would have been a bit premature considering we’d only met three weeks earlier. But the sumptuous six course menu inspired by flowers served up in its lavish surroundings conjures up the perfect setting for a romantic meal, complete with a ring hidden in the desert should your beau feel transported on a “vague d’amour”.
The fourth floor restaurant above Canary Wharf’s shopping mall is running the ‘Blossom City’ tasting menu until the end of June, and each floral-inspired dish is beautifully presented with petals.
The menu kicked off with a dollop of impressively home-made creamy soft burrata, contrasting with the gorgeous soft lime colour of the velouté poured over it.
We were then served with a seared Orkney scallop with oyster and lettuce velouté, with lovage and almond - quite possibly the most beautifully presented plate I’ve ever seen in my life, bringing to mind a Renoir lake scene, and as delicious as it was attractive.
The next course of a pressed duck terrine encasing indulgent and gloriously fatty foie gras and morteau sausage, wrapped in parma ham was complemented with a sweet rhubarb, ginger and caramel sauce and the distinctive flavours of nasturtium flowers.
You may also want to watch:
Continuing onwards, the veal rump on a bed of broad beans, asparagus and the mash potato that had been smoked was mirrored with a white American wine with a hint of smokiness itself, a flavour imbued by the oak barrels it was aged in.
Our palettes were then refreshed with a bitter gin jelly on a bed of tangy lemon mousse, and yet more flavoursome petals finishing off the taste sensation.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
The ‘Basket of Blossom Surprises’ dessert, specially created by Plateau’s executive chef Daniel McGarey, is a fantastical piece of fairytale forest design, with a picnic basket and chequered cloth made out of chocolate filled with mousse, and tiny red and white toad stalls on a bed of mint sponge ‘grass’ - and all completely edible.
A collaboration with designer jewellery boutique Cadenzza means every desert comes with an elegant ring, made with Swarovski crystals.
The menu is priced at £60 per person or £85 with wine pairing, and it’s well worth the upgrade as the sommelier personally comes to explain his choice to you as you embark on every course, turning the experience into a culinary adventure.
The menu is available until June 30.