Preview: Around The World In 80 Days, Arcola Theatre
- Credit: Archant
The story of the dashing Victorian adventurer Phileas Fogg who is rushing to complete an epic journey across the globe in record time is coming to the Arcola Theatre in a special production adapted for children.
Just three actors will take on the roles of over 20 characters in the epic tale Around the World in Eighty Days, which sees Scotland Yard’s finest - the unstoppable Fix of the Yard - hot on Fogg’s heels.
Traveling by any means possible – by boats, trains and even an elephant - Fogg tries to make it back in time without his plans being foiled.
This is the third installment of Arcola Theatre’s new strand of theatre for family audiences which is supported by The Prince’s Foundation for Children and the Arts, funding discounted ticket prices for 500 Hackney primary school children to visit the theatre in Ashwin Street, Dalston twice a year.
Its director Owen Calvert-Lyons said: “We want to make plays which get children excited about going to the theatre.
You may also want to watch:
“Thanks to the support of the Prince’s Foundation, children growing up in Hackney have the opportunity to see world class theatre right on their door-step.”
The production will be staged in Arcola Theatre’s new Studio 2 theatre, which opened in November as part of the theatre’s refurbishment.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
To book tickets, priced at £9 for adults, £7 for children and £6 for schools, call 020 7503 1646 or see www.arcolatheatre.com.
The show is suitable for children aged seven and upwards and runs from January 29 to February 9.