Preview: La Boheme, St-John-at-Hackney, Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Opera is given a street makeover at a forthcoming production at a Hackney church next month.
Celebrated opera La Boheme is dragged in to the 21st century from its historical setting in 19th century Paris at St-John-at-Hackney church in Lower Clapton Road, Clapton.
In this modern retelling of the Puccini masterpiece, a group of university students celebrate their newfound freedom by exploring everything that their world has to offer such as alcohol, drugs, love and sex.
They discover the joy and pain of love, the bittersweetness of mortality and the painful nature of secrets – human realities that transpose time and place.
Emily Kolltveit, venue manager for St-John-at-Hackney, said: “This is a really amazing show. It’s a version of La Boheme which heavily echoes the social problems faced in Hackney such as street crime, drugs and disenchanted youngsters.”
You may also want to watch:
The production is being staged by the New London Opera Players, an organisation which seeks to take classical opera on a reduced scale, produced and sung in English, all over Britain to audiences and schools who otherwise have no chance of hearing opera live.
La Boheme will be performed on September 13. Tickets cost £17 and can be obtained by calling th ebox office on 020 8985 5374 ext: 222.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service