Preview: The Assembly Market in Stoke Newington
- Credit: Archant
A new event set-up to showcase independent designers working in fashion, interiors and print is coming to Stokey this weekend.
The Assembly Market has been put together by Jannine Newman, the founder of Hackney-based loungewear company Under the Cloth. It will feature a collection of over 20 designers who will come together at Abney Hall to sell their wares on Saturday and Sunday.
Newman began planning the event after she spotted a gap in the market. “It was a little hard to find appropriate places to sell my slow-fashion range,” she says.
“I noticed that some of the events people were selling at were more craft-led, and that doesn’t necessarily sit well with fashion. The decision to set up the event was made on a whim; I asked Justine Tabak if she wanted to be part of it and thought ‘if she says yes then I’m on to something.’ Once she gave it her blessing I looked to find a hall and thought ‘lets just go and see what happens.”
Visitors will be able to browse a diverse range of fashion products all under one roof. There will be linen clothing from Cornwall and Rutland, hand-knits and dresses from London, pyjamas, kaftans and childrenswear. The Assembly Market will also feature artwork, prints, cushions, quilts and other select vintage wares, as well as jewellery and bags.
You may also want to watch:
“The ethos is very much: buy less and buy better,” continues Newman.
“The event is about sustainability, ethics and being mindful about our consumption – without being high-brow. Everyone involved is lovely, some have made products especially for the event. It’s a chance for customers to meet the designers, talk to them and feel the fabrics. The vibe I am getting from the designers is that it’s all a little bit new.”
- 1 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 2 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 5 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 6 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Hackney flat block damaged as 25 firefighters respond to barbecue blaze
- 9 Delta Covid strain spreads in Hackney with high rates in neighbouring boroughs
- 10 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
The Assembly Market will feature stalls from Justine Tabak, Nadinoo, Spry Workwear, Phaedra Clothing and Daydress, as well as items for sale from printmakers Jess Albert and Elvira Van Vredenburgh.
Newman is understandably looking forward to opening the first Assembly Market from 11am on Saturday.
“I’m really excited to bring people together, the overriding emotion is contentment. It’s a kind of pleasure to see people excited about it.”
The Assembly Market is at Abney Hall, Stoke Newington Church Street, N16 0AS on Saturday (11am-6pm) and Sunday (11am-5pm) this weekend. More information here.