Queen of Hoxton launches Viking-style Skye Halla Wigwam
- Credit: QOH
The roof top at the Queen of Hoxton is reinvented every season – and winter tends to be my favourite time of year.
This year is no exception with a Nordic Viking theme where they seem to have got the Danish ‘hygge’ concept down to a tee.
The dim light in the Skye Halla wigwam is very cosy and as you sip on hot vodka and mead punch cocktails served in cow horns it’s easy to forget you’re in the inner city.
There are fire pits, driftwood sculptures, shields and a longboat outside.
Suspended in the middle of the wigwam is a shrine to Yggdrasil where Viking warriors hang their offerings to the Norse gods, symbolising an immense mythical tree connecting the nine worlds.
You may also want to watch:
Communal banqueting tables are surrounded by the discarded weapons of a battle apparently recently won.
Food is served in disposable boxes, and is simple but very tasty. On the menu is a pork belly ‘Hodhr’s Hotpot’, with apples and potatoes, or a slow braised turkey leg.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Freyja’s Nettle Love Elixir is a very strong foraged cocktail, and is a mix of stinging nettle martini with elderflower, lemon, and an agave and nettle infused gin.
A series of immersive events are on offer, including workshops like Viking life drawing classes or chain maille jewellery workshops.
Queen of Hoxton, 1 Curtain Road, EC2A 3JX.