Restaurant review: Blueprint Cafe, Design Museum, Shad Thames
I like a restaurant with a good vista, especially one of the Thames.
With that in mind it would be very easy for the Design Museum’s Blueprint Cafe to rely on its stunning views of the river from Canary Wharf to Tower Bridge and beyond to get punters through the door.
They are pretty special. But so is the food and that’s what will make me come back.
Blue binoculars on the tables allow diners to zoom in on the world as it drifts by below and gazing out of the floor to ceiling windows could easily detract your attention from head chef Mark Jarvis’s food - if it wasn’t so good.
Confit wood pigeon breast with peach pur�e and micro leaf salad was dainty but full of flavour and smoked haddock risotto with saffron and parmesan was a hearty portion of velvety, flavourful rice.
A main course of Elwy Valley lamb saddle with peas and barley, almonds and roast aubergine was pink and tender and beautifully cooked while the new season grouse with heritage carrots, brioche foam and blackberry sauce was delicious.
Desserts of sticky toffee pudding with muscovado sauce and cr�me fra�che was sticky and sweet but also light and the Spanish figs, with particularly pungent Stinking Bishop and oat biscuits was a half-cheese-course-half-pudding stroke of genius.
- 1 Man in 'life-threatening' condition after Hackney shooting
- 2 Apothecary: Japanese-inspired small plates combine with Shoreditch vibes
- 3 Housing plan for De Beauvoir estate approved – despite environmental concerns
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 6 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 7 Hackney brain tumour patient mum raises money for hospice
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 From college student to stage performer: How All Points East Festival is helping young artists
- 10 Mogwai added to All Points East after King Gizzard pull out for health reasons
Wines were delicious, particularly the Bacchus Reserve from Chapel Down in Kent.
The Blueprint Cafe is serving its game menu all this month.