Restaurant review: Blueprint Cafe, Design Museum, Shad Thames
I like a restaurant with a good vista, especially one of the Thames.
With that in mind it would be very easy for the Design Museum’s Blueprint Cafe to rely on its stunning views of the river from Canary Wharf to Tower Bridge and beyond to get punters through the door.
They are pretty special. But so is the food and that’s what will make me come back.
Blue binoculars on the tables allow diners to zoom in on the world as it drifts by below and gazing out of the floor to ceiling windows could easily detract your attention from head chef Mark Jarvis’s food - if it wasn’t so good.
Confit wood pigeon breast with peach pur�e and micro leaf salad was dainty but full of flavour and smoked haddock risotto with saffron and parmesan was a hearty portion of velvety, flavourful rice.
You may also want to watch:
A main course of Elwy Valley lamb saddle with peas and barley, almonds and roast aubergine was pink and tender and beautifully cooked while the new season grouse with heritage carrots, brioche foam and blackberry sauce was delicious.
Desserts of sticky toffee pudding with muscovado sauce and cr�me fra�che was sticky and sweet but also light and the Spanish figs, with particularly pungent Stinking Bishop and oat biscuits was a half-cheese-course-half-pudding stroke of genius.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Wines were delicious, particularly the Bacchus Reserve from Chapel Down in Kent.
The Blueprint Cafe is serving its game menu all this month.