Restaurant review: Blueprint Cafe, Design Museum, Shad Thames
I like a restaurant with a good vista, especially one of the Thames.
With that in mind it would be very easy for the Design Museum’s Blueprint Cafe to rely on its stunning views of the river from Canary Wharf to Tower Bridge and beyond to get punters through the door.
They are pretty special. But so is the food and that’s what will make me come back.
Blue binoculars on the tables allow diners to zoom in on the world as it drifts by below and gazing out of the floor to ceiling windows could easily detract your attention from head chef Mark Jarvis’s food - if it wasn’t so good.
Confit wood pigeon breast with peach pur�e and micro leaf salad was dainty but full of flavour and smoked haddock risotto with saffron and parmesan was a hearty portion of velvety, flavourful rice.
You may also want to watch:
A main course of Elwy Valley lamb saddle with peas and barley, almonds and roast aubergine was pink and tender and beautifully cooked while the new season grouse with heritage carrots, brioche foam and blackberry sauce was delicious.
Desserts of sticky toffee pudding with muscovado sauce and cr�me fra�che was sticky and sweet but also light and the Spanish figs, with particularly pungent Stinking Bishop and oat biscuits was a half-cheese-course-half-pudding stroke of genius.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
Wines were delicious, particularly the Bacchus Reserve from Chapel Down in Kent.
The Blueprint Cafe is serving its game menu all this month.