Restaurant review: Blueprint Cafe, Design Museum, Shad Thames
I like a restaurant with a good vista, especially one of the Thames.
With that in mind it would be very easy for the Design Museum’s Blueprint Cafe to rely on its stunning views of the river from Canary Wharf to Tower Bridge and beyond to get punters through the door.
They are pretty special. But so is the food and that’s what will make me come back.
Blue binoculars on the tables allow diners to zoom in on the world as it drifts by below and gazing out of the floor to ceiling windows could easily detract your attention from head chef Mark Jarvis’s food - if it wasn’t so good.
Confit wood pigeon breast with peach pur�e and micro leaf salad was dainty but full of flavour and smoked haddock risotto with saffron and parmesan was a hearty portion of velvety, flavourful rice.
You may also want to watch:
A main course of Elwy Valley lamb saddle with peas and barley, almonds and roast aubergine was pink and tender and beautifully cooked while the new season grouse with heritage carrots, brioche foam and blackberry sauce was delicious.
Desserts of sticky toffee pudding with muscovado sauce and cr�me fra�che was sticky and sweet but also light and the Spanish figs, with particularly pungent Stinking Bishop and oat biscuits was a half-cheese-course-half-pudding stroke of genius.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
Wines were delicious, particularly the Bacchus Reserve from Chapel Down in Kent.
The Blueprint Cafe is serving its game menu all this month.