Review: Rotunda’s Sunday Beef Club offers an indulgent way to end the weekend
- Credit: Rotunda
Upon arrival my friend and I were offered our first choice of the evening - a Bloody Mary or champagne?
The Bloody Mary was a real kick to the taste buds - I think it cured a cold I felt coming on.
Our bartender added in garlic, rosemary, oregano and other spices. "It wakes you up, doesn't it?" he said. I loved it - but if you're not one for heat, I'd stick to the champagne.
We started our four-course dinner with canapés selected by the chef. Our aubergine toast, croquettes and scotch eggs were a lovely, light start to the meal - especially the scotch eggs which come with an amazing anchovy dressing.
You may also want to watch:
Next up, the seafood platter, and my friend told me she didn't know where to start.
There was H. Forman & Son smoked salmon, dressed Cornish crab, and Atlantic prawns with 'Bloody' Marie rose sauce and St John sourdough. It was divine and plentiful - every last, little bite.
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 Man found guilty after brutal attack of sex worker in Hackney
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Celebrities and shoe brand staff help renovate Hackney playground
- 5 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 6 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 7 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 8 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 9 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
We were offered wine with our meal and moved on to course number three - the beef.
There's a reason why it's called The Sunday Beef Club and the reason became very clear when our roast dinner arrived with all the trimmings.
Rotunda is proud of its beef which comes from its own farm in Northumberland. The meat is aged on site for about a month ensuring maximum tenderness and flavour. Our sharing plate with sirloin of beef was succulent with a smoky taste and an inviting aroma.
Finally, I picked the vegan banana split for dessert; I thought I probably should after all that meat I'd just devoured.
My friend had the poached meringue with grilled apricot. It was lovely - completely different in texture to the usual baked variety.
Rotunda proved the perfect place for a lazy, indulgent Sunday full of food and drinks made to share - just remember to begin your Beef Club food journey on an empty stomach.
£65 with drinks (or £45 without) every Sunday; 90 York Way, N1 9AG
To find out more or to book a table visit: https://rotundabarandrestaurant.co.uk/product/beef-club/