Review: Flamboree brings traditional Alsatian dish to Old Street
- Credit: Archant
It might not sound appetising, but you’re going to want to get your chops around a flam.
Similar to a pizza but much lighter, the tarte flambée, a thin and crispy traditional Alsatian dish, is the latest delicious new Old Street offering.
The food originated in the late 19th century, when Alsatian farmers would bake breads in a communal oven once a week.
Whilst the oven was reaching its required temperature the farmers would roll a piece of dough thinly and add fromage blanc, onions and smoked bacon lardons to test the readiness of the oven.
Similarly, Flamboree’s menu has eight meat, veggie and vegan toppings which can be made on three bases – spelt, Alsace wheat and gluten-free – so there’s plenty of choice. There’s also a wide selection of Reunion Ales, wines and soft drinks.
You may also want to watch:
I opted for Beware of the Taliwang – pulled chicken with fresh spring onion, coriander and roquito peppers bursting with flavour, accompanied by an intoxicatingly spicy sauce. Meanwhile my boyfriend chose Charcut-oree, a meatastic mix of smoky bacon lardons, salami, saucisson and ham, given a tart edge with dijon mayo and cornichons.
We couldn’t resist trying out a dessert, sharing a flam-smoree - a flam topped with dark chocolate sauce, white chocolate chips, crushed biscuit, marshmallow and a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Somehow the lightness of the base meant it wasn’t even remotely sickly, just more-ish.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 2 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 3 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 8 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 9 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 10 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
With speedy service and a laid back vibe, Flamboree is a great alternative to other fast food – and is probably a lot better for you, if you can resist the desserts.