Review: Oren, Dalston
- Credit: Archant
Mediterranean-Israeli food isn’t something I’d normally seek out, but Oren has made me realise I’ve been missing out.
Inspired by chef Oded Oren's native Tel Aviv, this new addition to Dalston's Shacklewell Lane combines more-ish small plates with a slick, laid back decor.
It's easy to see why Jay Rayner was blown away by the pop-up residencies which preceded it.
There's a wide selection of wines but I was drawn to the chai old fashioned which was pleasingly warming.
A promptly served baked flatbread with tomato and olive oil was a great way to dip our toes into the menu, along with the Amfissa organic olives.
You may also want to watch:
The burnt aubergine proved to be the only low point of the meal - we were unsure about the mushy texture.
But the lamb flatbread with baharat spice and yoghurt picked things right back up - with us fighting over who had which piece. A zesty market leaf salad with almonds and za'atar was a virtuous but tasty accompaniment.
- 1 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 2 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 3 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 4 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 5 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 6 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 7 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
Meanwhile the monkfish in Libyan 'chraime' - a spicy tomato sauce - was simple but effective. They might not sound like much, but the grilled potatoes with coriander and lemon more than held their own.
Onto desserts, and the unctuous chocolate mousse was the perfect counterpoint to the lemon polenta cake with soured whipped cream.
It's unusual not to have a clear favourite, but I'll be back for both - and a fair bit of the rest of the menu too.