Review: Yard Sale Pizza’s new calzone menu at Hackney Road spot
- Credit: Archant
I’ve always been a bit suspicious of calzones.
But with Yard Sale serving up the folded-up fancies for the first time at its new two-floor restaurant in Hackney Road, I thought it was time to bite the bullet.
There's four to choose from, and I was drawn to the special - pork sausage, mozzarella, roasted shallots and chimichurri sauce.
And it might just have turned me into a calzone convert. Somehow it felt lighter than a regular pizza, and the tip-top ingredients were complemented by the fresh and tangy sauce.
Of course, all Yard Sale's regular pizzas are also on offer. My boyfriend chose the excellently titled 'New Porker' - Fresh Sicilian sausage, guindilla chillies, garlic, oregano & fresh basil - to share alongside the calzone. Naturally it didn't disappoint, although it seemed far less exciting now that it had competition.
You may also want to watch:
I was confused as to why regular metal cutlery had been swapped for frustrating eco wooden versions usually more associated with pop-ups - and it didn't seem in keeping with the funky (albeit laid back) basement booths.
We couldn't resist rounding off our meal with a Happy Ending 'Malty one'. Frankly there's no occasion when these supreme ice cream sandwiches aren't the right call.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
Currently calzones are only available at lunchtimes, but I'm told there's plans to roll them out throughout the day. Make sure you catch them when you can.
Yard Sale also delivers to areas of Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets. Click here to find out more.