Seattle troupe bring their Burlesque show to Brick Lane
Seattle, one of the more rebellious of the American west coastal cities, is home to a burgeoning burlesque scene.
Probably most famous for Hendrix, grunge, coffee and Frasier, the rainy city has been filling its music halls and bars with the feathery exploits of a slightly more risqu� bunch in recent years.
Seattle is home to some of the top names in the US burlesque circuit and, among these, dance troupe Saint Sinner Burlesque have been causing a bit of a stir.
In their first UK performance, the group will be heading a week-long run at the Brickhouse in Brick Lane from Tuesday March 8 until Saturday March 19.
But theirs is not simply the delicate, whimsical fanfare we’ve been used to seeing since Burlesque made a proper name for itself in the capital several years back.
You may also want to watch:
Instead, Sinner Saint Burlesque have opted for a cheekier, raunchier display of their talents.
Aerialists, belly dancers, fire-eaters, singers and classically-trained dancers perform intermittently with the troupe, alongside their usual cast of stars.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Each girl comes with her own alter ego.
Redhead Evilyn Sin Claire is Seattle’s ‘Wild Child’, who dabbles in a little of everything; comedy, classic, theatrical, sexy, rambunctious, and avant garde.
Jesse Belle-Jones is the ‘Modern Sexual Intellectual’ whose performance blurb describes her as “navigating the female body through academia”.
Do�a Dei Cuori is the ‘Maiden with the Midas Touch’ who is trained in Latin and ballroom dance and brings elements of the foxtrot, the tango and salsa to her routines.
In conjunction with the show, the Brickhouse has a burlesque photography exhibition running.
Saint Sinner Burlesque are performing at the Brickhouse in Brick Lane from March 8 until March 19.
Go to brickhouse.co.uk to book.