Seattle troupe bring their Burlesque show to Brick Lane
Seattle, one of the more rebellious of the American west coastal cities, is home to a burgeoning burlesque scene.
Probably most famous for Hendrix, grunge, coffee and Frasier, the rainy city has been filling its music halls and bars with the feathery exploits of a slightly more risqu� bunch in recent years.
Seattle is home to some of the top names in the US burlesque circuit and, among these, dance troupe Saint Sinner Burlesque have been causing a bit of a stir.
In their first UK performance, the group will be heading a week-long run at the Brickhouse in Brick Lane from Tuesday March 8 until Saturday March 19.
But theirs is not simply the delicate, whimsical fanfare we’ve been used to seeing since Burlesque made a proper name for itself in the capital several years back.
You may also want to watch:
Instead, Sinner Saint Burlesque have opted for a cheekier, raunchier display of their talents.
Aerialists, belly dancers, fire-eaters, singers and classically-trained dancers perform intermittently with the troupe, alongside their usual cast of stars.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 4 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 5 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 6 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
Each girl comes with her own alter ego.
Redhead Evilyn Sin Claire is Seattle’s ‘Wild Child’, who dabbles in a little of everything; comedy, classic, theatrical, sexy, rambunctious, and avant garde.
Jesse Belle-Jones is the ‘Modern Sexual Intellectual’ whose performance blurb describes her as “navigating the female body through academia”.
Do�a Dei Cuori is the ‘Maiden with the Midas Touch’ who is trained in Latin and ballroom dance and brings elements of the foxtrot, the tango and salsa to her routines.
In conjunction with the show, the Brickhouse has a burlesque photography exhibition running.
Saint Sinner Burlesque are performing at the Brickhouse in Brick Lane from March 8 until March 19.
Go to brickhouse.co.uk to book.