Shoreditch venue hosting Odd Future is best alternative on Royal Wedding Day
Those seeking an alternative to Royal Wedding street parties or resting in front of the television to see William and Kate tie the knot could do a lot worse than paying a visit to the Village Underground venue on Friday.
The hottest show at the Shoreditch club in Holywell Lane is a sell-out afternoon set from California hip-hop collective Odd Future (or Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All to give them their full title) who are causing controversy and winning fans, including Brit singer Adele, in equal measure at the moment.
Their dark, moody rap is close in spirit to the Wu-Tang Clan when they first burst onto the scene.
From 6pm, record label Planet Mu will be taking over the venue to showcase dancers, DJs and live acts themed around “footwork” – “a hyper-rhythmic, abstract dance music” originating in Chicago and consisting of cut-up samples and phrases and syncopated drum beats.
Acts performing include DJs Rashad and Spinn plus the Chicago Footwork Dancers who will also perform at the Sadler’s Wells Theatre the following day.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, to recover from the four-day weekend, the Big Dada label, also better known for their hip-hop acts, present their first “rock” band, the Clash and David Bowie-inspired Paris Suit Yourself on Tuesday, at Village Underground’s smaller The Camp venue in City Road.
For the Planet Mu event, quote “Chicago” on the door to get reduced admission of �8 or for students a two for one ticket deal.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
For tickets and further details, visit villageunderground.co.uk.