Tavern @15: Haunted private club adds modern bar
- Credit: Archant
A new basement restaurant in the heart of the City has given a touch of modernity to a 100-year old private members club.
The London Capital Club in Abchurch Lane launched Tavern @15 last month, giving Londoners a taste of its private club experience.
To access you enter through the grand reception area, a luxurious nod to bygone days, and make your way down.
While the rest of the reportedly-haunted, five-storey club firmly screams ‘a blast from the past’, the refurbished contemporary diner has a trendy and city-like atmosphere, boasting elegant concrete and terracotta colours and plush peachy leather seats.
Head chef Jean-Didier Gouges, renowned for his inventive cuisine at the Royal Albert Hall, has been brought in to oversee a menu of British cuisine with multicultural influences.
You may also want to watch:
For starters the traditional pairing of cured duck and blood orange in a chicory salad was absolutely delicious, priced at £9.50.
For main course, I went for the lobster burger, with plenty of meaty flesh packed into the bun, and my friend tried the mushroom tagliatelli.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
The desserts are also not to be missed, with a tiramisu to devour and pannacotta.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here, and the club’s adaptation to the modern business demands of the City is welcome.