Tavern @15: Haunted private club adds modern bar
- Credit: Archant
A new basement restaurant in the heart of the City has given a touch of modernity to a 100-year old private members club.
The London Capital Club in Abchurch Lane launched Tavern @15 last month, giving Londoners a taste of its private club experience.
To access you enter through the grand reception area, a luxurious nod to bygone days, and make your way down.
While the rest of the reportedly-haunted, five-storey club firmly screams ‘a blast from the past’, the refurbished contemporary diner has a trendy and city-like atmosphere, boasting elegant concrete and terracotta colours and plush peachy leather seats.
Head chef Jean-Didier Gouges, renowned for his inventive cuisine at the Royal Albert Hall, has been brought in to oversee a menu of British cuisine with multicultural influences.
For starters the traditional pairing of cured duck and blood orange in a chicory salad was absolutely delicious, priced at £9.50.
For main course, I went for the lobster burger, with plenty of meaty flesh packed into the bun, and my friend tried the mushroom tagliatelli.
- 1 Jailed: 'Evil' Dalston rapist who tried to flee country by Eurostar
- 2 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 3 Half a million Mare Street flat to be auctioned for investment
- 4 MP Meg Hillier urges people to book boosters amid Omicron spread
- 5 Free Movember 'shave down' at Hackney salon
- 6 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 7 A fan of brussels sprouts? Then you'll love this Hoxton restaurant
- 8 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 9 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 10 Stoke Newington residents go without running water for days
The desserts are also not to be missed, with a tiramisu to devour and pannacotta.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here, and the club’s adaptation to the modern business demands of the City is welcome.