The Book Club in Shoreditch sets up pop-up camp for Olympics
A popular venue in Shoreditch is setting up a special Olympics-themed pop-up, with bars and social-sporting silliness during the London Games.
The Book Club is taking over an outdoor car park on Leonard Street for 17 days where it will screen highlights of the athletic action from the Olympic Park.
The Book Club Base Camp promises a quirky take on all things sporty. It will feature giant topiaries shrubs, trees cut into decorative shapes, a paddling pool, neon light installations, miles of bunting, live graffiti art and a huge stretch tent in case it rains.
Silly sports will be hosted by The Social Athletics Club, including alternative versions of ping pong, basketball and crocket. Sweat band are mandatory but talent optional.
Energetic rounds of “king pong” from the World Series of Pong, and also “beer pong” are some of the bizarre sports on offer.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be lashings of cider, real ales from London Fields Brewery, frozen cocktails, coffee and fresh juices, along with sustainably-sourced British grub and sports-themed cocktails from Street Kitchen.
The Book Club Basecamp runs from tomorrow (July 27) until August 12 from 10am to 10pm daily.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
Entry is free.
Visit wearetbc.com for event details.