The Book Club in Shoreditch sets up pop-up camp for Olympics
A popular venue in Shoreditch is setting up a special Olympics-themed pop-up, with bars and social-sporting silliness during the London Games.
The Book Club is taking over an outdoor car park on Leonard Street for 17 days where it will screen highlights of the athletic action from the Olympic Park.
The Book Club Base Camp promises a quirky take on all things sporty. It will feature giant topiaries shrubs, trees cut into decorative shapes, a paddling pool, neon light installations, miles of bunting, live graffiti art and a huge stretch tent in case it rains.
Silly sports will be hosted by The Social Athletics Club, including alternative versions of ping pong, basketball and crocket. Sweat band are mandatory but talent optional.
Energetic rounds of “king pong” from the World Series of Pong, and also “beer pong” are some of the bizarre sports on offer.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be lashings of cider, real ales from London Fields Brewery, frozen cocktails, coffee and fresh juices, along with sustainably-sourced British grub and sports-themed cocktails from Street Kitchen.
The Book Club Basecamp runs from tomorrow (July 27) until August 12 from 10am to 10pm daily.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 5 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
Entry is free.
Visit wearetbc.com for event details.