The Book Club in Shoreditch sets up pop-up camp for Olympics
A popular venue in Shoreditch is setting up a special Olympics-themed pop-up, with bars and social-sporting silliness during the London Games.
The Book Club is taking over an outdoor car park on Leonard Street for 17 days where it will screen highlights of the athletic action from the Olympic Park.
The Book Club Base Camp promises a quirky take on all things sporty. It will feature giant topiaries shrubs, trees cut into decorative shapes, a paddling pool, neon light installations, miles of bunting, live graffiti art and a huge stretch tent in case it rains.
Silly sports will be hosted by The Social Athletics Club, including alternative versions of ping pong, basketball and crocket. Sweat band are mandatory but talent optional.
Energetic rounds of “king pong” from the World Series of Pong, and also “beer pong” are some of the bizarre sports on offer.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be lashings of cider, real ales from London Fields Brewery, frozen cocktails, coffee and fresh juices, along with sustainably-sourced British grub and sports-themed cocktails from Street Kitchen.
The Book Club Basecamp runs from tomorrow (July 27) until August 12 from 10am to 10pm daily.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 9 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside
- 10 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
Entry is free.
Visit wearetbc.com for event details.