The Green Hour - the Rebel Dining Society does absinthe with spirit
The Rebel Dining Society returned last week, bringing together top chefs and the capital’s leading cocktail creators to present a new take on the notorious French spirit – Pernod Absinthe.
The first of the ten weekly events last Wednesday (May 4) saw award-winning London bartender Charles Vexenat create tempting tipples to accompany a five-course menu of ‘molecular gastronomy’.
The second instalment of the underground dining events, following a successful run last year, take place in a new base in Vyner Street, Bethnal Green, rather than moving around the capital.
Guests make and sample each cocktail, learning about the history and composition of Pernod Absinthe, which is still made in France from a secret recipe including coriander, fennel and lemon balm - setting you back a good �70 a bottle.
The pairings on the first night included an intensely smoky ‘Absinthe opium pipe’ served alongside a tasty plate of gazpacho jelly, pancetta, plum puree and rosemary croutons. Another hit was a new take on Hemmingway’s ‘Death in the Afternoon’ – served on a spoon with popping candy – that came with three sweet macaroons of bizarre flavours including pea and mint.
You may also want to watch:
The programme’s debut did not pass without hiccups, including a fire alarm going off and a mix-up on the menu.
But before long, diners were getting pleasantly plastered – and an education along the way. What more could you want?
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 8 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 9 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
The Green Hour, hosted by the Rebel Dining Society and Pernod Absinthe, takes place every Wednesday evening until July 6. Tickets cost �40 and must be booked in advance. For more information, go to www.therebeldiningsociety.co.uk.