The Queen of Spades at Arcola Theatre in Dalston
Alexander Pushkin’s classic novella The Queen of Spades gets a rare stage outing at Arcola Theatre in Dalston this week.
Emerging theatre company Fusebox presents a reworking of the Russian poet’s 1890 piece with original music and design.
It follows Hermann, played by Benjamin Way, who will stop at nothing to discover the three card gambling trick that will make his fortune.
His story is revealed in a series of dreams that take the audience from the bedroom of an old, dying countess, played by Norma Cohen, to the gambling tables of St Petersburg.
The production, conceived and directed by Max Hoehn, explores the inner obsessions and fantasies of the protagonist, through Raymond Blankenhorn’s verse adaptation drawing on material from across Pushkin’s work.
You may also want to watch:
Queen of Spades runs until November 12 at 8pm, Monday to Saturday.
Tickets cost �15 or �11 for concessions.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
For more information or to book call the Arcola box office on 020 7503 1646 or go to www.arcolatheatre.com