The Queen of Spades at Arcola Theatre in Dalston
Alexander Pushkin’s classic novella The Queen of Spades gets a rare stage outing at Arcola Theatre in Dalston this week.
Emerging theatre company Fusebox presents a reworking of the Russian poet’s 1890 piece with original music and design.
It follows Hermann, played by Benjamin Way, who will stop at nothing to discover the three card gambling trick that will make his fortune.
His story is revealed in a series of dreams that take the audience from the bedroom of an old, dying countess, played by Norma Cohen, to the gambling tables of St Petersburg.
The production, conceived and directed by Max Hoehn, explores the inner obsessions and fantasies of the protagonist, through Raymond Blankenhorn’s verse adaptation drawing on material from across Pushkin’s work.
You may also want to watch:
Queen of Spades runs until November 12 at 8pm, Monday to Saturday.
Tickets cost �15 or �11 for concessions.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 6 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 9 'It’s scandalous': Hackney LTN's £4m in fines in 18 months
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
For more information or to book call the Arcola box office on 020 7503 1646 or go to www.arcolatheatre.com