Theatre preview: We’re Going On A Bear Hunt, Little Angel Theatre
- Credit: Archant
One of the most-loved contemporary stories, Michael Rosen’s We’re Going On A Bear Hunt, has been adapted for the puppet theatre in what its director has promised could be one of Little Angel’s best works to date.
Exquisitely-crafted puppets by the puppet theatre’s founder Lyndie Wright and songs written by Barb Jungr bring to life the infamous tale of a family who embark on an expedition - running down the grassy bank, wading across the cold river, squelching over the oozy mud, stumbling through the dark forest, then peering into a cave.
- Lowri James, Mabel Jones, Gilbert Taylor and George Williams make up the versatile cast of actors, musicians and singers who perform four-piece harmonies, with guitar, flute, trombone and ukulele accompaniments as they bring the puppets to life.
Director Peter Glanville said the production is lots of fun and has moment of real beauty: “We’ve tried to capture the different environments and the fun the humans have interacting with nature, with children jumping around and having mud fights and splashing in the water.
“We wanted the audience to enjoy the different places this family go to - when we go to the forest there’s a gorgeous deer and a flute and it’s all magical, then we have an underwater scene with the baby and fishes.”
You may also want to watch:
Author of the book which is celebrating its 25th anniversary next year, Hackney resident Michael Rosen is patron of the theatre in Dagmar Passage, Angel.
Peter Glanville enjoyed working with him two years ago for an adaptation of Shakespeare’s Tempest, the Magician’s Daughter, and decided his book would make a good puppet show material.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
“When I’m looking for books for Little Angel to adapt I always think what would suit puppetry, the different qualities of movement that can happen when you get the family going through different environments drew me to it., and that it’s just one of the most loved contemporary stories.
“It’s so well known, children have been passing the theatre and you can hear them singing “We’re going on a bear hunt.””
Mr Glanville continued: “We have been true to the “Uh oh, we can’t go over it, we can’t go under it” thing.
“Barb has written some great songs with just so many styles, some are soulful, some are fun sing-a-long kind of songs, some are quickly, memorable and hummable, some are quite punky, she’s been playful.
“Fingers crossed it feels as though it will be a fun and strong pieces for families of all ages.
“There’s something about puppetry that engages the imagination in a wonderful intimate way, especially in this production.”
The show runs from May 11 to July 21. Tickets cost £12 or £10 for children and concessions, and all tickets are £5 for shows at 5 pm on Fridays.
Call 020 7226 1787 or book online at www.littleangeltheatre.com.