Trendy Hoxton hosts geek of the year award
Techies and nerds battle for title
Hoxton’s hip image will go out the window when nerdy types with side-partings, cardigans and thick-rimmed glasses descend on it for the first ever Geek of the Year 2010 competition on Tuesday evening.
The accepted definition of a geek as someone unattractive, akward, socially inept and computer obsessed will not, however, be the criteria used when the Zigfrid von Underbelly arts and entertainment venue in Hoxton Square stages the contest.
Ally Millar, 25, editor of technology and culture website, geeks.co.uk,which is staging the event, said the purpose was to celebrate rather than poke fun at people who might identify as geeks.
“We started out with the idea that the definition of geek has changed. A geek is simply someone with a deep interest in their chosen topic, be it film, art, music, cooking, gadgets or gaming.
You may also want to watch:
“Geek of the Year will be a night to celebrate and reward that passion,” he added.
The inaugural ceremony will see one winner walk away with a �5,000 holiday and an editorial spot on the geeks.co.uk website.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Comedian Adam Bloom and up-and-coming rockers, Ex Libras, will provide the evening’s entertainment, while the winner will be chosen by a panel of “geek experts” headed up by Iain Morris. the writer of Bafta award-wining TV sitcom, “The Inbetweeners.”
Those wishing to be considered for the title of Geek of the Year 2010 can still enter at http://www.facebook.com/GeekoftheYearUK