Trendy Hoxton hosts geek of the year award
Techies and nerds battle for title
Hoxton’s hip image will go out the window when nerdy types with side-partings, cardigans and thick-rimmed glasses descend on it for the first ever Geek of the Year 2010 competition on Tuesday evening.
The accepted definition of a geek as someone unattractive, akward, socially inept and computer obsessed will not, however, be the criteria used when the Zigfrid von Underbelly arts and entertainment venue in Hoxton Square stages the contest.
Ally Millar, 25, editor of technology and culture website, geeks.co.uk,which is staging the event, said the purpose was to celebrate rather than poke fun at people who might identify as geeks.
“We started out with the idea that the definition of geek has changed. A geek is simply someone with a deep interest in their chosen topic, be it film, art, music, cooking, gadgets or gaming.
You may also want to watch:
“Geek of the Year will be a night to celebrate and reward that passion,” he added.
The inaugural ceremony will see one winner walk away with a �5,000 holiday and an editorial spot on the geeks.co.uk website.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 9 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
Comedian Adam Bloom and up-and-coming rockers, Ex Libras, will provide the evening’s entertainment, while the winner will be chosen by a panel of “geek experts” headed up by Iain Morris. the writer of Bafta award-wining TV sitcom, “The Inbetweeners.”
Those wishing to be considered for the title of Geek of the Year 2010 can still enter at http://www.facebook.com/GeekoftheYearUK