Tumblr partners with mental health platform for two-day art exhibition
- Credit: Archant
The social media website Tumblr has teamed up with mental health platform Made of Millions to present Seen; an art exhibition curated to explore the many layers and intricacies of mental illness at Hoxton Arches.
Launched yesterday to coincide with World Mental Health Day, this is a two-day event which will display a diverse body of work from selected Tumblr artists. A number of the pieces on show will use augmented reality, helping to convey the fact that when it comes to mental health – what you see is rarely what you actually get.
The exhibition, which is free and open to all, is also the launch event for Made of Millions, a grassroots platform designed “by sufferers, for sufferers.” Seen will feature a 10-minute video documentary centred on Made of Millions co-founder Rose Cartwright, who has done so much for people with OCD with her eloquent writing in the past. Her story is also to be dramatised in a forthcoming Channel 4 series.
Seen will incorporate a live mural painted by Will Barras and a gallery of images from Yumna Al-Arashi, an acclaimed photographer perhaps best known for her work documenting the lives of Yemeni women.
Also on show will be artwork from Sarah Maxwell, an American illustrator based in London whose multi-discipline work spans fashion illustration, animated GIFs and comics. She’ll be joined by Debbie Balboa – whose whimsical animations are in part inspired by her best friend’s struggles with mental health – as well as Miriam Presas, whose piece about a girl ‘stuck in the eye of a hurricane’ is pictured above.
You may also want to watch:
Original pieces of artwork will be included in a silent auction as part of the exhibition, with proceeds raised going to Made of Millions.
Seen continues at Hoxton Arches tonight from 5pm to 9pm. Entry is free. For more information, visit madeofmillions.com
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney