Vegan tuna? Wagamama ‘makes fish out of watermelon’ in special Veganuary dish
- Credit: :Emma Bartholomew
“How do they make watermelon look like tuna?” my son pondered as we sat in Wagamama’s new Old Street branch, waiting for the new vegan dish to be served up.
Good question. It's quite a long process.
Apparently it's sliced, soaked in brine to balance the sugars and take out some of the water content, before being cooked in a sous-vide which gives it some texture, and then seared on both sides just before serving.
While it really does look authentic, there's no getting away from the fact that it is a piece of fruit - so it has a sweet flavour and refreshing consistency rather than fleshy and savoury.
It costs £12.95 and is a nice meal overall - the kale it comes with has a BBQ tinge, crispy shallots give a crunchy texture and guacamole with edamame and tofu is a winner.
You may also want to watch:
It's a special addition to the pan-Asian restaurant's menu this month for Veganuary, and if it does well it'll be added permanently.
- 1 Man loses sight in eye after "attack" outside Hackney chip shop
- 2 Man found guilty after brutal attack of sex worker in Hackney
- 3 Owner of UK's first vegan Indian takeaway: 'I have shaken the entire industry'
- 4 Celebrities and shoe brand staff help renovate Hackney playground
- 5 5 films you may not know where shot in Hackney
- 6 Chatsworth Road trader told to pay up to £455 for licence to sell on land he says is his
- 7 Hackney boxing champion Kirkland Laing dies aged 66
- 8 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 9 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets