Wailers extravaganza sees original member Junior Marvin on stage this weekend
Original Wailers’ star Junior Marvin will put in a special guest appearance next weekend at the Hackney Empire’s musical extravaganza, Salute to the Wailers.
Celebrating over 40 years of music from Bob Marley’s legendary super group, the joyful orchestral performance should delight music lovers of all ages.
The show will also see guest appearances from UK soul queen Mica Paris and reggae singer Lloyd Brown, and Hackney’s riot hero Pauline Pierce, aka Lady P, will take to the stage to receive a special surprise.
“We are talking about a group of musicians who, over a decade, were responsible for arguably the best reggae music ever recorded,” said Hackney-born director Otis Kirton.
“Salute To The Wailers proudly recognises the contribution of all the individual musicians who were responsible for creating the sound that today still remains the blueprint of reggae music.”
You may also want to watch:
The sound of Bob and the Wailers evolved during a period spanning the 1960s through to the start of the 1980s, and the Wailers’ musical evolution is reflected in this period which saw ‘Rhythm & Blues’ and ‘Jazz’ become ‘Ska’ then ‘Rock-Steady and finally ‘Reggae’.
“Most songs of Bob Marley & The Wailers have key elements of all these styles and is what makes the music so special and unique,” added Otis.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Tickets for the show this Saturday September 10 and Sunday September 11 at 7pm cost �18-30, and are available online at www.hackneyempire.co.uk or from the Hackney Empire box office on 020 985 2424.