London Fire Brigade has warned that candles should never be left unattended after a fire broke out in a building containing a pub and flats.

The blaze started in Stoke Newington High Street on Saturday morning (April 22), damaging part of the basement of the building.

Several people left the building before firefighters arrived. There were no reports of any injuries

Firef crews were called to the blaze at 11.03am and had put the fire out by 11.55am.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Stoke Newington, Homerton and Tottenham fire stations attended the scene.

An LFB spokesperson said that the fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the “unsafe use” of candles.

They added: "Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.

"You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface, so they won’t be knocked over."