'Christmas lunch on Jesus' for lucky families in Hackney
- Credit: Christ Royal Church
A generous local church is making sure Hackney families do not go without on Christmas Day.
Christ Royal Church in Hackney will hand out free hampers with turkeys and all the trimmings needed for a Christmas meal.
Thanks to donations from its congregation, the church plans to give 50 families a "Christmas lunch on Jesus’" this year.
Ola Fagbemi, communications manager at the church, told the Gazette: “It's a way for us to extend the love of Christ to our community.”
She is excited that they can continue the initiative this year, saying a small act of kindness can go a long way.
You may also want to watch:
“Especially with coronavirus, a lot of people may have lost their jobs,” Fagbemi added.
“It’s the period of celebration and it wouldn't really be the same if we know people are out there who can’t afford to celebrate.”
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
Residents can text 07947755464 or 07415103880 to register interest in a hamper.