'Christmas lunch on Jesus' for lucky families in Hackney
- Credit: Christ Royal Church
A generous local church is making sure Hackney families do not go without on Christmas Day.
Christ Royal Church in Hackney will hand out free hampers with turkeys and all the trimmings needed for a Christmas meal.
Thanks to donations from its congregation, the church plans to give 50 families a "Christmas lunch on Jesus’" this year.
Ola Fagbemi, communications manager at the church, told the Gazette: “It's a way for us to extend the love of Christ to our community.”
She is excited that they can continue the initiative this year, saying a small act of kindness can go a long way.
You may also want to watch:
“Especially with coronavirus, a lot of people may have lost their jobs,” Fagbemi added.
“It’s the period of celebration and it wouldn't really be the same if we know people are out there who can’t afford to celebrate.”
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 4 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
Residents can text 07947755464 or 07415103880 to register interest in a hamper.