'Christmas lunch on Jesus' for lucky families in Hackney
- Credit: Christ Royal Church
A generous local church is making sure Hackney families do not go without on Christmas Day.
Christ Royal Church in Hackney will hand out free hampers with turkeys and all the trimmings needed for a Christmas meal.
Thanks to donations from its congregation, the church plans to give 50 families a "Christmas lunch on Jesus’" this year.
Ola Fagbemi, communications manager at the church, told the Gazette: “It's a way for us to extend the love of Christ to our community.”
She is excited that they can continue the initiative this year, saying a small act of kindness can go a long way.
You may also want to watch:
“Especially with coronavirus, a lot of people may have lost their jobs,” Fagbemi added.
“It’s the period of celebration and it wouldn't really be the same if we know people are out there who can’t afford to celebrate.”
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
Residents can text 07947755464 or 07415103880 to register interest in a hamper.