Beard friendly Hackney brewery wins award
- Credit: The Five Points Brewing Co
While some employees could face a hairy situation for growing facial hair, a Hackney brewery has shaved through stereotypes to win most Beard Friendly Employer of the Year.
The Five Points Brewing Company, which recently moved to a its new home on Mare Street, is known for its socially conscious business model, paying the Living Wage as well as its many bearded employees.
It was given the award by an informal network of beard wearers called the Beard Liberation Front.
The group's organiser Keith Flett said: "2021 has been a difficult year for craft beer not just because of the pandemic but also because it has become apparent that the progressive ideals sometimes associated with the industry are not always also actually practiced.
"In giving the award to Five Points we hope to underline that a unity of theory and practice can be achieved in respect of a diverse workforce."
Past winners include the BBC, Church of England and craft brewer Beavertown Brewery.
You may also want to watch:
While Five Points is known for its beard friendly cask and craft keg beers, beard campaigners add that the award is more focused on an employer that promotes a diverse workforce and decent working conditions.
The announcement comes during National Beard Week which runs from June 26 to July 1.
- 1 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 4 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 5 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 6 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 7 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Bar shut down after 'bouncers help knife attack suspects escape'
- 10 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
Prime Minister Boris Johnson was crowned the most notorious beard hater of the year.