Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- Credit: Limelight Sports Club
Hackney's half marathon is set to take place this year amid uncertainty over when Covid restrictions might be eased.
The Hackney Half is set to take place on May 16 with organisers ensuring that the event will comply with strict Covid-secure planning measures.
Hackney runner Melvyn Williams says if all goes well he will be running the 13.1 mile route from Hackney Marshes again, having ran it before in 2019.
But, he says, other races have already been postponed this year.
"l think it's best l wait to nearer to the time, then I can have a better look at the chances [of another lockdown]," he said.
Still, Melvyn has high hopes for 2021 and hopes to run races alongside other people soon as it is "more fun".
You may also want to watch:
He added: "The inspiring, wonderful Hackney Half event, was the first race l ever did, and it inspired me to run other races for charity, so I shall pray and keep my fingers crossed."
The athlete plans to run the race, famous for having DJs and live music at every mile, for the homeless charity Hands On Hands.
- 1 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 2 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 3 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 4 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 5 All you need to know about the Hackney by-elections on May 6
- 6 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 7 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 8 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 9 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog
- 10 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in