Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- Credit: Limelight Sports Club
Hackney's half marathon is set to take place this year amid uncertainty over when Covid restrictions might be eased.
The Hackney Half is set to take place on May 16 with organisers ensuring that the event will comply with strict Covid-secure planning measures.
Hackney runner Melvyn Williams says if all goes well he will be running the 13.1 mile route from Hackney Marshes again, having ran it before in 2019.
But, he says, other races have already been postponed this year.
"l think it's best l wait to nearer to the time, then I can have a better look at the chances [of another lockdown]," he said.
Still, Melvyn has high hopes for 2021 and hopes to run races alongside other people soon as it is "more fun".
You may also want to watch:
He added: "The inspiring, wonderful Hackney Half event, was the first race l ever did, and it inspired me to run other races for charity, so I shall pray and keep my fingers crossed."
The athlete plans to run the race, famous for having DJs and live music at every mile, for the homeless charity Hands On Hands.
- 1 Hackney road closure campaigners to stand in by-election
- 2 Sewage flooded flat as man struggled to report issues amid cyber-attack
- 3 Hackney activist denies racism but resigns from diversity commission
- 4 Purim celebrations 'will be a bit different this year', says Hackney mayor
- 5 Fortnightly waste collections launched to 'encourage recycling' in Hackney
- 6 Woman rescued from Benthal Road blaze
- 7 Baby Edward: Police confirm biological mother was found
- 8 Hackney Half marathon postponed following government's lockdown roadmap
- 9 'Largest cannabis farm we've ever seen,' say Homerton police
- 10 Finsbury Park trains set to be cancelled for railway work