Coronavirus: First two cases confirmed in Hackney
- Credit: PA
Two people in Hackney have tested positive for coronavirus, Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed.
The council says close friends and relatives of the patients will be contacted and given health advice about symptoms, as well as emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the fortnight after they had contact with them.
No more details will be released, the council said.
Director of public health Sandra Husbands said: 'The first confirmed cases of coronavirus in Hackney were expected, and public health agencies are working closely together to prepare for further cases.
'The risk to the public remains low, but to help manage the spread of the virus, everyone should take simple actions like washing hands more regularly, covering their mouth and nose when they cough or sneeze and avoiding close contact with those who are unwell.
You may also want to watch:
'If you think you might have coronavirus or might have been exposed to it while travelling, you should use the NHS 111 service to seek professional medical advice and support.'
The council says it is working closely with Public Health England and the NHS to control the risk of coronavirus and inform people and businesses of the simple actions they can take to help prevent its spread. Council services are continuing as normal.
Earlier on Wednesday PHE confirmed the tally in the City and Hackney, a joint health authority, was at four, up from two on Monday. The first two cases were both in the City, mayor Phil Glanville had confirmed.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 6 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 7 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 8 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 9 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 10 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
There is one confirmed case in both Islington and Haringey, three in Brent and eight in Barnet in figures which were published by PHE early on Wednesday
There were five in Camden, but this figure has increased to seven as of Wednesday afternoon.
Some 456 people are now confirmed to have Covid-19 in the UK - up 137 from 319 confirmed cases on Monday.
Check out our Facebook group for the latest coronavirus news from across north London.