Coronavirus: First two cases confirmed in Hackney
- Credit: PA
Two people in Hackney have tested positive for coronavirus, Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed.
The council says close friends and relatives of the patients will be contacted and given health advice about symptoms, as well as emergency contact details to use if they become unwell in the fortnight after they had contact with them.
No more details will be released, the council said.
Director of public health Sandra Husbands said: 'The first confirmed cases of coronavirus in Hackney were expected, and public health agencies are working closely together to prepare for further cases.
'The risk to the public remains low, but to help manage the spread of the virus, everyone should take simple actions like washing hands more regularly, covering their mouth and nose when they cough or sneeze and avoiding close contact with those who are unwell.
You may also want to watch:
'If you think you might have coronavirus or might have been exposed to it while travelling, you should use the NHS 111 service to seek professional medical advice and support.'
The council says it is working closely with Public Health England and the NHS to control the risk of coronavirus and inform people and businesses of the simple actions they can take to help prevent its spread. Council services are continuing as normal.
Earlier on Wednesday PHE confirmed the tally in the City and Hackney, a joint health authority, was at four, up from two on Monday. The first two cases were both in the City, mayor Phil Glanville had confirmed.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 4 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
There is one confirmed case in both Islington and Haringey, three in Brent and eight in Barnet in figures which were published by PHE early on Wednesday
There were five in Camden, but this figure has increased to seven as of Wednesday afternoon.
Some 456 people are now confirmed to have Covid-19 in the UK - up 137 from 319 confirmed cases on Monday.
Check out our Facebook group for the latest coronavirus news from across north London.