There With You: London Fields’ Forest Road Brewing Company creates lockdown lager to support NHS
- Credit: Forest Road Brewing Co.
An independent Hackney Brewery is offering drinkers the chance to help the NHS by donating £1 for every bottle of its latest brew sold.
The Forest Road brewery, bar and taproom near London Fields has launched a lager called Stay Home to support NHS staff during the coronavirus lockdown.
Owner Pete Brown says the idea came to him when he was delivering to Homerton University Hospital last month.
He told the Gazette: “We dropped off 650 beers to say thank you for the amazing efforts of staff there, and it made me think we should do more and on a bigger level.
“So I scrambled round, getting everyone involved in the brewing and packaging of our beers on board.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really important right now to show our support for NHS staff. They’re Britain’s national heroes.”
The beer is a 3.9 per cent pale lager created in collaboration with north-eastern brewery based in Hartlepool called Camerons.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 6 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
Some 15,000 bottles have been made so far meaning Forest Road expects to donate £15,000 to Britain’s hardworking NHS staff.
“I know it’s not a lot by NHS standards, but it’s great to think we’re doing something to help during this crazy situation,” said Pete. He says more beers will be brewed if Stay Home proves popular.
“At a time like this it’s easy to feel helpless, but there are little ways in which each of us can do something to help in the battle against COVID-19. Two crucial ways: stay at home and drink this beer!” said Pete.
Buy Stay Home here.
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.