There With You: London Fields’ Forest Road Brewing Company creates lockdown lager to support NHS
- Credit: Forest Road Brewing Co.
An independent Hackney Brewery is offering drinkers the chance to help the NHS by donating £1 for every bottle of its latest brew sold.
The Forest Road brewery, bar and taproom near London Fields has launched a lager called Stay Home to support NHS staff during the coronavirus lockdown.
Owner Pete Brown says the idea came to him when he was delivering to Homerton University Hospital last month.
He told the Gazette: “We dropped off 650 beers to say thank you for the amazing efforts of staff there, and it made me think we should do more and on a bigger level.
“So I scrambled round, getting everyone involved in the brewing and packaging of our beers on board.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s really important right now to show our support for NHS staff. They’re Britain’s national heroes.”
The beer is a 3.9 per cent pale lager created in collaboration with north-eastern brewery based in Hartlepool called Camerons.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 9 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
Some 15,000 bottles have been made so far meaning Forest Road expects to donate £15,000 to Britain’s hardworking NHS staff.
“I know it’s not a lot by NHS standards, but it’s great to think we’re doing something to help during this crazy situation,” said Pete. He says more beers will be brewed if Stay Home proves popular.
“At a time like this it’s easy to feel helpless, but there are little ways in which each of us can do something to help in the battle against COVID-19. Two crucial ways: stay at home and drink this beer!” said Pete.
Buy Stay Home here.
Or to find more groups, networks and organisations like this in Hackney providing support during the coronavirus lockdown visit our There With You Essential List.