Employability course helps Hackney young people build confidence
- Credit: Shadow To Shine
A Hackney charity and youth training initiative have teamed up to equip young people with the skills and knowledge needed to tackle the world of work.
Local charity The Wickers are working with youth mentoring organisation, Shadow To Shine, to deliver a five-week employability programme to six young people from the borough.
The Wickers Charity Service & Delivery Manager, Kieran Harris said: “The group we work with are really excited about the new employability programme. I can’t wait to watch them grow and boost their confidence in the weeks to come.”
The course has been set up and will be delivered by Shadow To Shine’s network of industry professionals, offering training and tips to help young people manage stress, budget, set targets, speak in public and present their ideas.
The course will also build on CV writing and interview skills.
You may also want to watch:
Originally, the course would have reached up to thirty young people but has reduced its capacity due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Korinna Williams, Director of Shadow To Shine, said: “Whilst the new restrictions mean we have had to cut numbers and change the way we work, we are still determined to support young people in any way we can. We are thrilled to be partnered with The Wickers Charity, who have allowed us access to their local network to deliver specific training and support the young people on their dream career path.”
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 9 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 10 TV drama of fascism and resistance in Jewish East London
The course will be delivered in a Covid-19 secure venue in Hackney with sessions running twice a week in the evenings.
Find out more about Wickers charity by clicking here
Learn more about Shadow To Shine by clicking here